Friday, 3 July 2009

St. Peter's News

Councillor Mark Reckless, Conservative Parliamentary Candidate for Rochester and Strood, is to tell Medway Council's Cabinet that they should keep St. Peter's school open.

Mark said:

"St Peter's is a successful school with rising rolls and above average results. I have looked at the arguments put forward by council officers to justify closure and they do not add up. I intend to urge the Cabinet, who have always kept an open mind on this, that they should keep St. Peter's open."

Parents, pupils and teachers from St. Peter's Infants in Holcombe Road, Rochester, successfully enlisted the local community in fighting to save the school after Medway Council began a consultation on possible closure.

Councillor Ted Baker, Mark's colleague in Rochester West ward, was previously the Chairman of Governors, and has staunchly supported the school.

Ted said:

"I congratulate everyone involved in the campaign. The arguments are clear - and Mark has intervened in our support - but we should not stand down until the Cabinet announce the decision officially in the autumn."

Read the full story online - Click Here (Adobe Reader Required - Get It Free)

Get Change for a Fiver - Donate Now

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

St Peter's said...

The Save St Peter's campaign is delighted to have Mark's support in the battle to keep our excellent school open.

We have already submitted a petition to council with more than 5,000 signatories, but we are still collecting names.

Anyone who wishes to join Mark in registering their opposition to closure can sign the petition online at www.savestpeters.co.uk